Monday, May 23, 2011

How amazing is the Lord?!

Saturday marked 3 years since my sweet Mother passed, and with all the effort I've been making over the past few months, especially this last one in particular, I was really hoping I could feel close to her and know of her continual presence in my life as she supports me in being a better person every day, a better example of Christ, a better Christian.  It's absolutely amazing to me how quickly and specifically the Lord can answer your prayers if are trying to strengthen your relationship with Him.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I've been trying to realign my life and day to day actions with those of the Savior's, and especially over the past month since I've taken meaningful steps towards doing that, I've come to see His merciful hand reaching out to me to help pull me up.  And without a doubt, Mom's been right there with Him cheering me on.

My Mom was probably the greatest person you could've ever known, except for Christ himself, because she always made it a point to serve others and put them first, just as Christ did.  Her awesome example of what it meant to be a disciple of Christ has always resonated in my heart as the way I should be myself.  Since I decided this year to more honor her life on the day of her passing instead of mourn her death, which is the way I think she would prefer it, it was easy to settle on a new tradition to start.  I decided to start making her day a day of service towards others and one where I would make it a point to put others needs before mine, (as I should do every day!).

I got the opportunity to go down to a battered women's shelter just down from my school and help serve lunch to ladies in need of some food.  It was truly a simple task, mine was just to hand out bananas to everyone :), but I can say without a doubt that she was there with me, helping brighten my own spirit so that we might together brighten others'.  It's simply astonishing how far a smile and a cheery, "Would you like a banana?!" :) can go.  I can't wait to go back and feel that amazing feeling again.  Selflessness like that can, from my point, also be seen as selfishness as it leaves me feeling so good inside!  :)

In trying to strengthen my relationship with the Lord I know that He's answered my prayers and that Mom's been there.  By becoming more in tune with the Spirit I've been able to become more in tune with hers, and know of her ever encouraging spirit and energy for me to improve myself.  She was hands down my greatest cheerleader here on Earth and I know she continues to be from across the veil.  In recommitting to Christ I have felt of her presence and encouragement as I sacrifice good things for better, and better for best.  I am so grateful to the Lord for His tender mercy in helping strengthen me through not only His spirit by in realizing that of my Mother's as well.  I love you, Mom, and can't wait until the day I get to be with you again.  I love you!!






1 comment:

  1. We miss your Mom too! She will never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete